Skip to main content

Some Thoughts: Between Visual Art And Writing

It's just my opinion first thing first.

There's a lot I think about when come to this 2 types of art, in the field of art - visual art and writing art - both in the same field but different branches of art world. But same history of its beginning..?



Drawing and writing I think have the same based - a line to a point to another. Just visual art creation becoming a picture or illustration where anyone who's looking can feel and see clear pictures, a not in words of imagination. While writing (art) started with creation of alphabets - is without of it (picture), offering some people or reader to feel but can't see. Else, both too have the same based, inspired by reality.

I've been blogging for more than before I set myself in visual art scene, which almost 10 years, before stepping down from it. And decided to learn the writing-reading-book field. Then after a year and few months I realise things between these 2 fields, and caught me up to write about it. Not a comparison but more to what I think it is what it is.

Visual art involves people, true is, any fields.

But what's make it different is for most of time I as an artists tend to be alone and by myself in my studio. Time is the need for artists to be able to progress and finish their piece of painting, illustration, as for their masterpiece of sculpture. This too consume space - which included space of mind and emotion to able to proceed to create. This same goes for writers. Moods and feelings go along together. But for artist, for most of time truly is indoor, while writer can go both ways, in and outdoor. Just come the time, artists will be gather around and social in a gallery and sorts. Just, not surprised this cause most of them comfortable in their own bubble.

From my experience, I become awkward. So awkward I can really start a conversation, unless the gallery less crowded. Within almost 10 years, I've been indoor more to finish my detailed illustrations. For a piece and by the size, and what's the elements in it, for it, can be 5 to 6 months in total. 3 to 4 pens, and if it's ballpen, it could take 8, 9, 10 ballpens. This all minus the time I have to have my meals, sleep, rest, recharge, planning ideas, mood, inspired, and feels, also whatever at home... My routine not all for myself. So progress can be so slow at one time. Artists spend more indoor that sometimes they forget how many hours already past. As for writers too.



When I decided to step down from visual art scene, and after more than a year dive in the writing-reading-book scene, I see how visual art is needed too. For most for cover will be publish book or novel, some other part for cover including few pages of illustrations. Some, for whole of the books, specially for children books. I then realized, that I missed many opportunities (?). But that's why we all born with different of thinking and intelligence. So we can interact to one another as human, and can work together in making a vision clear.. Aren't it? The need of visual art play big role in making a book or novel clear for what's the story of message to be told. 

Else, the amount of people from many field involvement in both visual art and writing, I can say big different. Even at level of community. I've been noticed, that at the level, there's many artists doesn't feel seen or supported, moreover appreciation of their artworks (unless you go with their demands or mould hmm?). And even at the level, with many groups or NGOs involved, the treatment to some style of artwork is being dismissed..(?). As the results, many artists changed their style and lose their originality as they are. I choose not to, but it effected me personally and as a visual artist. This became a topic to an art platform that open the topic online, "why artists change to abstract art?". My answer that I decided to put was "the need to be honest with self first in what you want to do", that mean I need to be so. Yes, I tried to keep up with my passion for my love to draw, illustrate and tried my best to be in the field until mentally and emotionally effected on mine.. That was when I started involved and got to know people from writing-reading-book field. It put me in between but ready to move on..

On matter of it, as for writing field, at the level of community alone is big and the involvement of people from almost all fields come together, very intimate, and it's what I found it is a need for us as human - be it in any fields. 


Photo of my artworks.

Just one thing clear, I just realized these past few months. That when come to visual art, it's not consider as a needs or must have for daily. You can buy a painting and hang it on your wall, then done. It sit there as it is. A one time satisfaction. And for a country that not see visual art as an important, this become one of the reasons why lack of appreciation exist. Or not feel the benefits of having an artwork for daily need or for whatever the reason, I guess.. Unlike for writing-reading-book field. Which it's a need and the benefits a book can give and offer. True as I experienced myself, so far. Some book that I've read gave me this warm feeling, information, a way to think and understanding. Some even 'calling' me. And this is when I realized, how books, any genre can survive on daily, weeks, months, years, or even for centuries. Talk about centuries - yes, we still hold on to many books out there and people still read and love it. This is one of the form of appreciation that keeps the field alive. Every pages give that sense to readers. And I think that's beautiful.

Both fields live. But the amount of appreciation - at the level of what and what root to the cause that people can appreciate or not. I think both have it, just as my experience, from many people that I had a conversation with, as I'm doing handmade-handcrafted accessories and jewellery now - majority said "yes", the lack of appreciation when come to visual art. Although they will be amazed when I introduced myself and said "I was from visual art scene". I still and maybe forever will be an artist people know, that draw and illustrate. But these past few months, I rarely picked up and hold on to my pen.. Except for ticks on typos in books or novels I've been reading since last year.

My life maybe close with art. Any. Be it visual, craft, or write. Maybe I'm an artist. But for part of that I'm closer to before, I think... Maybe it slowly fade. Although I'm still sketch out for my first series that I decided to do since 2019.. It will be done, or many other, probably will be abandoned.. While moving on with what I'm currently do. Still, I'm not push or deny any dark side of both fields. I think it's existing in any fields... But here's just a glimpse on both..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts: Lately In Book Genres

More than one month I've been noticing that I caught up with self-improvement books. Or books that tells how to deal with people while improving oneself. My attention to these books too, makes me realise how much I'm into biography genre, or books that author tells their story in honesty and the truth about who or how they are in life. Or what they've been dealing with as a human.. It's, somehow, make me feel connected.. As I said. My current reading is "Overthinking Tapi Buat-buat OK" ( Overthinking But Acted OK ) by Aqilah Masri. Maybe like 3, 4 days now.. And yesterday, since it's almost 5am writing this, I went to a mall with lil sis. To which while eating for breakfast (although it was almost 1pm at the time), I saw Popular Bookstore. After had our breakfast, we both went to it. My aim really on books from IMAN Publication - to which I don't know why - but in mind just full with "self care and self connect with whatever (self's body and m

Some Thoughts: Midnight

I'm sleepy. But need to read few pages of any book or novel I bought, after long time not read any, since I was busy with my art stuff. Now, while writing this, Kiti the cat having her meal. I'm reading the forth book from Mortal Engines by Philip Reeves. I have 200 plus pages to go, and I started read it since 2018, if I'm not wrong. It's.. Well, long time right? The reason was I bought the book first, then later in 2020, I bought the second and third books. As the result, I decided to postpone with the fourth book, and read with timeline. I read the second and third, and managed to finished both around last year, 2022. Then started to continue with the fourth. And I plan to finish it before end of this year.. See if I can.

Book: Komedi Orang Minyak By Farahin W

This is the first book review and first "Book" section for this blog. Few books I did was on my old WordPress blog. Might move them all in here soon. Today, I finally finished my first book I got from PBAKL 2024, on 1st June, weeks ago. So... I just going to put this from a view of a blogger and someone who read. As an visual artist, I guess? Not a critique either (I'm not a fans with those that deliver it in a downgrading tone). And excuse my bad English, I know but just write? Anyway, let's. First of all, the author is a cool person. Funny at the same time. Believe me. And this is her first debut. And when I know about it, I said "I need to get this on my hand!". Komedi Orang Minyak by Farahin W, published under Rocky Press - this is actually my second book from the publisher. And Komedi Orang Minyak is a collective of short stories. Usually I'll be doing early review, but I think that's just suitable for a novel, which one book, one storyline, and