Skip to main content

Book: Unbox By Ariff Adly

After GELAP, I decided to go for another by author Ariff Adly, a bestselling too, UNBOX. To be clear seriously I always curious about this book since I saw the cover when I know about FIXI for the first time. It's, curious... Like, I want to know what about it.

Okayyy obviously, I read it as I need to but at the same time I just want to read it else than because I accidentally emailed FIXI for the call for illustrator but I don't mind if I'm not selected, and I just feel like "I'm going to read UNBOX after this one (GELAP)". 

As you know, my thoughts just as I'm a visual artist, a blogger, and someone who read - a crafter too (yea I make handmade accessories..).

So... I think I heard cover for UNBOX here is AI...? Not a fans, if it is. I hope new one will make it as the vibe of the title and not AI... And talking about the title, it's no need to explain more, it's the only English word among all Ariff Adly's books. And the title does set me to wonder actually but more on to "flight" kind of - I have this feeling like 'floating' in wondering when come to this book, since I saw it. I'm not sure if it's the cover or the title itself..? Up until now, UNBOX feel mystery to me, even after reading the story... The cover, it's a face? I'll be in this question every time my mind click on this book. It's weird but I don't know what is it ergh but I think it's a face..

Okayyyy.... I can say, I'm excited to read this one like a month ago, and it's the latest by Ariff Adly.

Break it down, I'm not expecting but few pages into it, it's not slow. It's just straight forward to the characters introduction, as me, yea I just back and forth spread the pages to know each character's names and I'm surprised that it's not slow at all. It's keep on going and I like how the details slowly progressing from being in steady to start to get aggressive in eerie way. When this happens, I recall a movie. Because the progress slow and slowly with this kind of 'confusing' vibe, I just think of the movie - "Oculus". It's play with your mind and that's eerily creepy. And yea... If it's psychological eerily and creepy, this is not okkkk for me... Reading UNBOX started to make me feel and asked myself "can I finish this?". And I just started to feel like it's better not to read this one at night like seriously.

In Oculus movie, something (I don't want no spoilers here) caused main characters in the 'confusing' vibe and situation that I'm saying about - where I myself got confusedly eerie after watching the movie, and that's scared me off... For a week..

And this is the vibe and feel that I got when I reading this one. Psychological tricky. Some part did make my hair feel chilly and caused me to feel kind of draining? Drained in feel, for part that describes the details of encounters and scenarios - bumped into the 'thing'. You know what I mean here... Some scenes, most of it, did make me feel like to close the book for a moment and like asking for the author "damn it whatttt whyyyy" like that.. It's dark, eerily dark.. Don't, read this one at night..

After 2 books - including this one, of author Ariff Adly, I found out that his interest in music is visible. I like how he includes lyrics and the band or singer's names, to match up with the scene in the story, and that makes the scene more realistic like in real life.

Also, I like how there's about life and faith, religion matters included. Style of writing? It's so chilly? Like so in real time, example like the dialogue between characters and how point of view as a character's narrative is just chill and direct, straightforward. I mean, the author portrayed the real conversation between characters which each other have their own attraction to one another as friends. It's cool tough. Flashback scenario from character's POV makes the story clear and easy to understand what's happening with the 'confusing' vibe that I got..

But I was so surprised with the twist. I was like "whattttt......." - and it's very emotional one that I'm not seeing it comes to the story plot. It was my most overwhelming part for UNBOX.. It's like, something I feel like if the end not like that... And it almost made me teary down, almost.. Unexpected..

UNBOX give the 'eerily gloomy' in the air, and capturing the mood how things slowly changed and the story shows everything has it price... And this set me, as a reader, feel that the 'low at life' kind of feeling it 'drained' me somehow - from the story.. A mystical-spiritual mystery. Throughout reading this, as a spatial person, I feel like this one is the best one to be a movie or series and I will watch it seriously. I wish it will be. It should have been a movie or series already.. But yea... Hopefully, one day, maybe? Why not..? It's good tho..

For this.. I set at 9/10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts: Lately In Book Genres

More than one month I've been noticing that I caught up with self-improvement books. Or books that tells how to deal with people while improving oneself. My attention to these books too, makes me realise how much I'm into biography genre, or books that author tells their story in honesty and the truth about who or how they are in life. Or what they've been dealing with as a human.. It's, somehow, make me feel connected.. As I said. My current reading is "Overthinking Tapi Buat-buat OK" ( Overthinking But Acted OK ) by Aqilah Masri. Maybe like 3, 4 days now.. And yesterday, since it's almost 5am writing this, I went to a mall with lil sis. To which while eating for breakfast (although it was almost 1pm at the time), I saw Popular Bookstore. After had our breakfast, we both went to it. My aim really on books from IMAN Publication - to which I don't know why - but in mind just full with "self care and self connect with whatever (self's body and m

Some Thoughts: Midnight

I'm sleepy. But need to read few pages of any book or novel I bought, after long time not read any, since I was busy with my art stuff. Now, while writing this, Kiti the cat having her meal. I'm reading the forth book from Mortal Engines by Philip Reeves. I have 200 plus pages to go, and I started read it since 2018, if I'm not wrong. It's.. Well, long time right? The reason was I bought the book first, then later in 2020, I bought the second and third books. As the result, I decided to postpone with the fourth book, and read with timeline. I read the second and third, and managed to finished both around last year, 2022. Then started to continue with the fourth. And I plan to finish it before end of this year.. See if I can.

Book: Komedi Orang Minyak By Farahin W

This is the first book review and first "Book" section for this blog. Few books I did was on my old WordPress blog. Might move them all in here soon. Today, I finally finished my first book I got from PBAKL 2024, on 1st June, weeks ago. So... I just going to put this from a view of a blogger and someone who read. As an visual artist, I guess? Not a critique either (I'm not a fans with those that deliver it in a downgrading tone). And excuse my bad English, I know but just write? Anyway, let's. First of all, the author is a cool person. Funny at the same time. Believe me. And this is her first debut. And when I know about it, I said "I need to get this on my hand!". Komedi Orang Minyak by Farahin W, published under Rocky Press - this is actually my second book from the publisher. And Komedi Orang Minyak is a collective of short stories. Usually I'll be doing early review, but I think that's just suitable for a novel, which one book, one storyline, and