Skip to main content

Book: Asrama By Muhammad Fatrim

On January this year, FIXI emailed me for a commission. It took me few minutes to accept the offer. As the result, almost a week later I received their books together with one I got commissioned for last year - my first one from other author. I got 4 books in total, 3 of them by another author.

I know, I need to read them 3, started with the first one, best selling ASRAMA by Muhammad Fatrim. And here I'm going to put some of my thought about it.


For first, I'm honoured to be part of the book, for the new cover I got commission for last January, and thank you so much for the opportunity FIXI. 

This was my most challenging one when come to illustrate for a cover. And while in process, I got little bit pressure than before. Since it needs to be 'girls' vibe and feel but dark. I did my best although a bit I feel like if I can deliver it much better.. But, so far, most fans and FIXI's family like it, I'm ok with that. Alhamdulillah.. The new cover on the right in red but the original artwork is in purple but the author wants it in red, I'm okay with it as long not a millimetre of the original artwork changed, and old cover on the left in greenish. 


Going straightforward to the book, ASRAMA, in English "dorm" - do make me wonder what's up with this one.

I read the old cover one, obviously. And I just feel I need to read whole of it and finish it for ideas and for most what's the story about with dorm (?) like that.. And when I got the title - ASRAMA - with a tree and a girl figure, it was for sure for me it's about a tree something like that but also something surrounding a dorm kind of. And dark feel is there, and most was the mood. Heavy feelings when I looked at the cover. Sinister kind and mystical too.

Ok... Just my thoughts as a visual artist and illustrator, also a blogger. Soooo... Let's gooo


At the beginning, it feels slow but managed to make me wonder "what's going on?", "what this is about", and "can't wait for the climax" to know what will happen and it just keeps me question about the tree... A bit funny to some, but that's how my curiosity is. I want to know what's with the tree (haha).

The intro to the characters all alright. And for the details of the dorm which most locations from the book, did make me recalled those times when I was at school, primary and secondary but I'm not a dorm student - but managed to pulled that vibe out from me? It's just cool. It makes me feel like missing the time, but a bit gloomy. The nostalgic feeling like walking around school grounds in daylight, that kind of vibe and feel in narrative about the character. And at some point, I did find some part does makes me feel like "what's up with this character?" managed to pulled my suspicious thought for some scenarios. For the background and location, it's interesting to me that the author Muhammad Fatrim used from all of his experience while he was young living as dorm student, in Sabah as I learnt from the author himself at PBAKL 2024 last month.

True is, the author put the Sabah culture in the story, such as, words and language, foods, festive, places and cities, and state song of Sabah.

As my reading progress, time to time, there was scene and parts where the details that being described does put me on creep kind of feeling, which few time that I did feels worry and scared to continue reading, and ended up close the book to read it in the morning. As some part with details of what the characters go through too, it does started to have effect on me, like I did looked around my room from my bed which it was only me, wanted to feel safe while reading this.. It was creepy! It feels deep that I pulled my blanket just wanted to feel safe (knowing that I'm reading a horror novel).

I remember that I brought this book, ASRAMA to my booth table, reading while still sleepy, yet managed to finished it that day. To my surprise, there was a twist that really took me by surprise, as I'm not expecting the twist at all. Like at all! I was shocked by myself, alone, at my booth table. Some of all part, the main character's bond with other characters does give me a sad kind of feelings, where when the truths about the bond the character has - it gives me the feeling of "you alone....?".. That kind.. Which, at some point, it feels like, a pause and little bit of lonely.. With mystical part such as the tree's about, create more of sinister and yes, disturbing mood and feels. And that's why I had times where I wanted to feel safe even to sleep - the disturbing was there, and I think for this trilogy, ASRAMA (1) is the creepiest among 3, and it is a horror one yet. And I think, I will remember this is the book of FIXI that kicked the creepy and dark vibes in me, mentally of course..! Most, the writing is well done.

My thoughts on this as a reader and totally my experience, surprised me and I'll be writing about the sequel soon. For this book, 8.5/10 solid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts: Lately In Book Genres

More than one month I've been noticing that I caught up with self-improvement books. Or books that tells how to deal with people while improving oneself. My attention to these books too, makes me realise how much I'm into biography genre, or books that author tells their story in honesty and the truth about who or how they are in life. Or what they've been dealing with as a human.. It's, somehow, make me feel connected.. As I said. My current reading is "Overthinking Tapi Buat-buat OK" ( Overthinking But Acted OK ) by Aqilah Masri. Maybe like 3, 4 days now.. And yesterday, since it's almost 5am writing this, I went to a mall with lil sis. To which while eating for breakfast (although it was almost 1pm at the time), I saw Popular Bookstore. After had our breakfast, we both went to it. My aim really on books from IMAN Publication - to which I don't know why - but in mind just full with "self care and self connect with whatever (self's body and m

Some Thoughts: Midnight

I'm sleepy. But need to read few pages of any book or novel I bought, after long time not read any, since I was busy with my art stuff. Now, while writing this, Kiti the cat having her meal. I'm reading the forth book from Mortal Engines by Philip Reeves. I have 200 plus pages to go, and I started read it since 2018, if I'm not wrong. It's.. Well, long time right? The reason was I bought the book first, then later in 2020, I bought the second and third books. As the result, I decided to postpone with the fourth book, and read with timeline. I read the second and third, and managed to finished both around last year, 2022. Then started to continue with the fourth. And I plan to finish it before end of this year.. See if I can.

Book: Komedi Orang Minyak By Farahin W

This is the first book review and first "Book" section for this blog. Few books I did was on my old WordPress blog. Might move them all in here soon. Today, I finally finished my first book I got from PBAKL 2024, on 1st June, weeks ago. So... I just going to put this from a view of a blogger and someone who read. As an visual artist, I guess? Not a critique either (I'm not a fans with those that deliver it in a downgrading tone). And excuse my bad English, I know but just write? Anyway, let's. First of all, the author is a cool person. Funny at the same time. Believe me. And this is her first debut. And when I know about it, I said "I need to get this on my hand!". Komedi Orang Minyak by Farahin W, published under Rocky Press - this is actually my second book from the publisher. And Komedi Orang Minyak is a collective of short stories. Usually I'll be doing early review, but I think that's just suitable for a novel, which one book, one storyline, and