Skip to main content

Book: Komedi Orang Minyak By Farahin W

This is the first book review and first "Book" section for this blog. Few books I did was on my old WordPress blog. Might move them all in here soon.

Today, I finally finished my first book I got from PBAKL 2024, on 1st June, weeks ago.


So... I just going to put this from a view of a blogger and someone who read. As an visual artist, I guess? Not a critique either (I'm not a fans with those that deliver it in a downgrading tone). And excuse my bad English, I know but just write? Anyway, let's.

First of all, the author is a cool person. Funny at the same time. Believe me. And this is her first debut. And when I know about it, I said "I need to get this on my hand!". Komedi Orang Minyak by Farahin W, published under Rocky Press - this is actually my second book from the publisher. And Komedi Orang Minyak is a collective of short stories. Usually I'll be doing early review, but I think that's just suitable for a novel, which one book, one storyline, and weeks for me to finish it. As for collective of short stories, I decided to go with whole-over review - one go review after finish cover to cover. And by that, the cover, I like it. Very with feelings kind of, its delivered the mood of what's inside.

From my past early review of a book from same publisher, again I say, I like how each paragraph is separated from one another. With choice of font, people like me who wear glasses feels comfortable when reading. Doesn't feel 'packed' that can cause my forehead feel something scratchy like. I hope Rocky Press maintain it.

To be clear, from the title, I just had a thought that this book will be more on the funny, like, really really funny! But something just changed that after reading few stories of it. After few readings, I think like 2 to 3 stories, I started to realized that this is wayyy different than my thought and my expectations that this book will be funny. To me, at the beggining, I found that I can be confused - with twists that the author put. For most, for all stories, there's few that I think, I just don't get it or put me on wonder in question like. Like, "what about it?", I asked myself. But in a good way. As someone who more into visual, words can confused me a bit, and still learning on how to deal with it. Reading and as a visual artist, that do dark theme sketch and drawing/illustration, this book just projecting pictures from every sentence that I read, give me this very - out of this planet of reality, a dystopian time, and this very 'dull' mood vibes, surronding each of story in it. Some just very gore, a bit disturbing in the way I can found in many artworks - be it paintings, illustrations, from old eras to now.

Among all, I like all although some put me in confusion with wonder, there's few I like I said "that's what I'm talking about yeahh!". The author's self and persona can be seen and feels in her writing. While reading, story to story, most of stories very metaphorical - which I like it, since it all somewhat trying to tell readers that "this is what actual things is", "this is what's going on!". As I know the author, she put up with what she always talk about online, be it in educational or sarcastic ways to deliver the points. Most about women on society's stereotypes and stigma, politicals, community levels, between sexes, and such in human society. In this short stories, she delivers it all in very twisted-dark-mind like, creatively yet dark, like dark Japanese manga. If any chances, I think I can or would like to draw few illustration based on any of these short stories of her. Crazy. Creepy vibes there.

I think, only one thing that I just feels like should or shouldn't (?), as I noticed that repeated words in same sentence, which to me, some of those words have no need to be repeating or doubling but it's not bad at all. Plus, the delivery in narrative in storytelling just as expected from the author, Farahin W, awesome. And me as a person who is new in writing-reading-book field, I don't think I can comment much on it, but as I know, the author just sent a big messages. Excellent one for first debut. And I feels like, it's another from Rocky Press that can be made into a live series of drama, which I would love to watch if it happen. Also, I hope to see more of her books in the future, which I can't wait to read, to know what else behind the author's mind - dark artistically kind of mind.

Get the book, from Tokosue. You won't regret it a bit. My rate, solid 8/10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts: Lately In Book Genres

More than one month I've been noticing that I caught up with self-improvement books. Or books that tells how to deal with people while improving oneself. My attention to these books too, makes me realise how much I'm into biography genre, or books that author tells their story in honesty and the truth about who or how they are in life. Or what they've been dealing with as a human.. It's, somehow, make me feel connected.. As I said. My current reading is "Overthinking Tapi Buat-buat OK" ( Overthinking But Acted OK ) by Aqilah Masri. Maybe like 3, 4 days now.. And yesterday, since it's almost 5am writing this, I went to a mall with lil sis. To which while eating for breakfast (although it was almost 1pm at the time), I saw Popular Bookstore. After had our breakfast, we both went to it. My aim really on books from IMAN Publication - to which I don't know why - but in mind just full with "self care and self connect with whatever (self's body and m

Some Thoughts: Midnight

I'm sleepy. But need to read few pages of any book or novel I bought, after long time not read any, since I was busy with my art stuff. Now, while writing this, Kiti the cat having her meal. I'm reading the forth book from Mortal Engines by Philip Reeves. I have 200 plus pages to go, and I started read it since 2018, if I'm not wrong. It's.. Well, long time right? The reason was I bought the book first, then later in 2020, I bought the second and third books. As the result, I decided to postpone with the fourth book, and read with timeline. I read the second and third, and managed to finished both around last year, 2022. Then started to continue with the fourth. And I plan to finish it before end of this year.. See if I can.